Friday, December 29, 2006

Alberta, Alberta...

I've been home in Edmonton for the last week and a half and the time has flown by. It is hard to believe that I will be on yet another airplane in two short days. I feel like I just got here; yet this has been the longest period of time that I've spent at home since the summer of '01.

I've been taking pictures of friends and snow and other Edmonton-related things that I have missed since I have been away. Of course, I forgot the cord that I need to upload the pictures onto my parents' home computer, so you will have to wait a few days (until we get back to Beirut) for the photoblog. Just more to look forward to.

During all of these months in Beirut, I thought that my homesickness was due to an over-romanticization of the comforts of home. And though some of my home-related neurosis has returned, being home has only reinforced my affinity for the things that I have missed since I have been away:

Stepping outside first thing in the morning to get the newspaper and taking a big breath of the cold, clean air. Wide roads, lanes and drivers stopping for traffic lights. Quiet walks outside. Long showers in clean water. Turning on the radio to a classic rock station. A TV listings channel for my time zone... in English. Internet connection that works all the time. The endless Alberta sky. Being around people who survived the nasty teen years with me. People who are equally, if not more crazy about the Oilers. Insane Dexter.

It could be a while before I get back to Canada after this. The next time might be for Vince and Connie's wedding in September of next year! And in the long run I will certainly be away from Canada for long stints. But I'll always come home -- I can't really imagine wanting to be any place else!

Hope all of you who are reading this have had a great holiday (no matter what holiday it is that you celebrate or didn't celebrate!). See you in the new year!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Cheryl, Sorry we didn't have a chance to chat over the holidays. I hope that both you and Glenn had good visits with your respective families. Have a good flight back!

Freemount said...

Even Ottawa food sounds good about now. Al's Steakhouse on Elgin, or poutine at one of the local carts, or that (then) new rib and chicken place, man...

I just want to add, Cheryl, that I take great comfort in the fact that you update your blog even less often than I do. ;)

Hope you're enjoying some comforts of home even in Beirut.